- Provide distance track meets for runners to compete and participate in within the City of Vancouver. Track running is not easily accessible to those outside of school, university, or club systems. The addition of this series would facilitate an introduction to a new discipline in a supportive and fun racing environment.
- Strengthen Vancouver’s running community from both social and racing perspectives with the opportunity to improve personal performance.
- Encourage community and personal wellbeing through physical and emotional development in a low stress and social racing setting.
Track and Timing
Bookings have been confirmed for the UBC Athletics track, electronic timing equipment rental, and an operator on these dates:
- Sat 18 May – 5,000m races – 3hr meet: 5:30pm first race – Max 150 entrants over 6 heats
- Fri 31 May – Mile races – 2hr meet: 6:30pm first race – Max 150 entrants over 10 heats
- Sat 31 Aug – 10,000m races – 4hr meet: 3:30pm first race – Max 150 entrants over 4 heats
The track is located in the UBC campus at 2329 Wesbrook Mall, Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z3. https://goo.gl/maps/QU7tDPYZ3aXT5X648
Entries will be accepted online through trackie.ca. All three meets are currently accepting entries and can viewed here: http://www.vancouverdistancetrackseries.ca
Entry for each event cover track rental, electronic timing and operation, event sanctioning, event insurance, race number bibs, and race entry fee processing costs.
- 5,000m – $20
- 1 mile – $15
- 10,000m – $25
The fields will be split into evenly sized races of equal ability based on entries and submitted estimated finish times. This division ensures the best race for all participants while minimising any lapping taking place.
All runners will be assigned race numbers that will be picked up at least 30min before their heat. The number will be captured by the photo finish system to match each runner to their finish time.
Volunteers will be recruited from local run clubs and crews to help with on site registration, start line athlete corralling, and finish line finish order for backup results.
For the 10,000m event, runners may be required to provide their own volunteer to record their lap counts. Volunteers can count for more than one athlete. Paper and pencils will be provided for those volunteers.